The pain and suffering of the witnesses, Halbja genocide-1

The story of the survivors of the Halbja genocide, where thousands of people lost their lives, brings together the audience’s amazement and anger, sadness and hope.

It has been 34 years since the Halbaja genocide, recorded as the largest chemical attack of the 20th century after Hiroshima and Nagasaki in modern world history.

On March 16, 1988, at least 5,000 people, mostly women and children, were killed by chemical weapons used in the bombing of Halabja by warlords at the behest of Iraq’s ousted dictator Saddam Hussein.

As the years go by, the pain of genocide, the wounds of which have not been healed, and which have not been taken seriously, are as fresh as the first day.

Eyewitnesses who survived the genocide and lost their relatives spoke to Ilkha. Although what the witnesses said shocked and offended the audience, it saddened them and gave them hope. Although some may later learn that over all these years, he has been raised by others, whose family he considered his family, others are still searching for their lost siblings.

Eyewitnesses to the massacre described one incident after another during the Halbaja massacre, saying that the chemical attack was aimed at killing all the people in the city.

Alan Tawfiq Himeili, who was 11 months old at the time of the Halbaja genocide and found out a few years later that all his relatives had been killed in the attack, returned to his homeland 32 years later from the Iranian family who raised him.

Noting that he learned the truth from his father, who was diagnosed with cancer shortly after his Iranian mother died, Hemeli said he was saddened by the lack of a past he could remember.

“Just before my Iranian father died, he told me the truth that they had taken me from Halbaja and raised me.”

Himeli began his speech by introducing himself and said, “I am Alan Tawfiq Himeli, Tawfiq’s son from Halbaja. I was 11 months old in the Halbaja chemical attack. I was lost at the time of the incident and a family in Iran. I came here. My mother died before my father, meaning my Iranian parents died. My father called me a few months ago when I was sick. He died. He said I was a resident of Halabja. And they took me and raised me. He gave me the files. Of course, I couldn’t believe it until I saw the files with my own eyes. Then I started the investigation. “

Halbazar Tawfiq and his son Alan Tawfiq Himeli in his arm in the left frame, Alan Tawfiq Himeli and his daughter Maryam in the right frame

“I didn’t know anyone when I first came here. They told me to go to the Martyrs’ Association. The Martyrs’ Association instructed me to go to the Martyrs’ Ministry in Irbil. Then, I went to Sulaymaniyah and did a blood test there. From 2012 to 2016,” said Alan Tawfiq. I waited 4 years. Before my exams were over, I met some people who were injured in the incident. I was 11 months old and I had no idea what was going on. ” Used expressions.

Alan Tawfiq Hemeili said, “My Iranian parents, who raised me, raised me in a very good environment and in love. So they did not deprive me of anything. They did not allow me to be sorry in any way.” Their greatest sorrow was my sorrow. But I came here after they died and I’m here alone. “

“The only thing I kept from them as a memento was my father’s statue in Halbja.”

His Iranian father thought he was affected by the disease when he told him the truth, Alan Tawfiq Himeili continued:

Earlier, the doctor said that he could talk differently about his illness and grief. But when I saw the files, I believed. My father was very happy because I grew up in a Kurdish and Kurdish family. Because in this way, I could go and do research more easily, I could find my family more easily. That is why he was so happy. I was the only child of my Iranian parents. But when we were here, our family was 6 people, we were 3 brothers and 3 sisters. None of them survive, I am the only survivor. The only thing left to me as a souvenir from them is the statue of my father in Halbja.

Explaining the process after arriving in Halabja, Alan Tawfiq Himeili said, “I did not know anyone when I came for the DNA test. When the Ministry of Martyrs sent me to Sulaymaniyah, I took a test from a doctor named Dr. Farhad. Before the test was over. , I met some of the victims and Mr. Lokman later. Later we heard that there was a problem in the process of returning the children, we came back and tested them. I had a test. My Iranian parents kept it as a memento. I brought it with me when I came here. The room was the biggest help to find my family. I donated blood. Find my family. It also helped me with my bracelet. ” He said.

He was 6 years old at the time of the genocide and he was the only surviving member of his family, one of his sisters was abducted and his brother is still alive. He got married after genocide and now works as a government employee in Shaheed Minar.

The surviving girl does not know where her sister was taken.

Saying that his family members were alive with him at the time of the massacre, but they were all martyred on the way and he and his sister survived, Saeed described the drama of that day as follows:

I was 6 years old at the time of the genocide, we took refuge in an Arab village during the chemical attack. 29 of our family and relatives died before my eyes. Thanks to my brother, who is a Peshmerga, our escape was a little easier than the other people, but 2 more of my brothers died on the way. One of my sisters and I survived the attack. The two of us went to Iran together, where the charity helped us, we were hospitalized and treated. Osman’s condition is very bad, so they send him to Belgium for treatment. My sister would occasionally be taken by a group to an unknown place with me and then brought back again. The last time she was taken she was never brought back and I asked the doctor ‘Where is my sister?’ The doctor threatened me, ‘Shut up,’ and said, ‘It won’t come again,’ for my sister. I met my second-degree family in Iranian Kurdistan, stayed there with my grandmother until 2000, and after 2000 I moved to Halabja, got married and settled in my town.

Halil Salih Muhammad, one of the eyewitnesses of the massacre, said:

I was one of the children missing in the Halbja genocide. Of course, now I am among those who are officially present. I was in 2014 and found out that my family came from Heoraman. I was 9 months old at the time of the genocide. After the massacre, I was airlifted from Kermanshah to Shiraz. The Iranian who found me had good relations with government officials. He pulled out an ID for me and listed me as his own child. He named me Mohammad Amin. He later reported the incident to authorities and said he had found a child. After 31 years, I was able to find my family and come to Halabja. 3 years later, I just realized what was happening in Halbja. At the moment we want to open a private eye hospital in collaboration with the authorities and friends. The hospital will be in Sulaymaniyah and will provide free services to the victims of the genocide. When I was in Iran, I did not feel any foreignness. They have treated me very well. They raised me like their child.

“I got married a few days before the genocide and lost my wife.”

Lokman Abdul Qadir Muhammad, who is also the president of the Halbaja Chemical Victims Association, said he survived the casualties during the Halbaja massacre and that he still bears the marks of that massacre, describing the brutality as if he were alive again.

“I lived in Halabja in 1988. I just got married,” he said. Lokman Abdul Qadir Muhammad, who began by saying, “Two days before the incident, a major attack on Halabja began. The Iraqi government was slowly increasing the pressure. Then the Iranian government entered Halabja. Panic spread among the people. The pressure from the Iraqi government. That they are going to do something, but they did not expect a chemical attack. One year before the attack, the people of Halabzar staged a peaceful protest. After the protest, the Ba’athist government buried 60 people alive. The bomber struck shortly after 11:45 a.m. on March 15, when Iraqi planes arrived in the city and began flying. The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a U.S. military base. This way the chemical gas is easier. The death toll in the house will increase. Then at 14.30 chemical attack they start attack with ombres. The sound of chemical bomb was very low. At the time of the attack we were in the basement below the house. The bomb did not explode. “When the other bombs exploded, it looked like an earthquake in Halabja,” he said.

“At the moment we are all under treatment. We have to take medicine every day.”

Muhammad continued: “But the sound of these bombs was very low. We were also thankful to God that the bombs did not explode because we were in the basement. We thought the bombs did not explode. They were bombs. The most casualties. The bomb exploded. It smelled bad. We started vomiting. We were in the basement because we had our own house and we couldn’t escape. We stayed. We stayed in the basement for a long time. We were in a very bad condition then. Our whole body was burnt because we were there for a long time. The international community was supporting Iraq at that time. I was one of them. I was 40 there. But when I came back to Iran, my mother Sihan Sadiq, my two sisters Vejire and Asina, my two brothers Heor. Aman and Awsar and my wife Khorasan Hekim were martyred. They do. Only one brother and one sister remained, who were not in Halbja. Of course, we are all affected by gas. We are all under treatment now. Medicine is taken every day. In this case, both my eyes became blind and I had to undergo surgery. My brothers are in the same situation. My father and all his children are in the same situation. “

Muhammad gave the following as the reason for enduring the drama with great pain:

“The Peshmerga did not allow us to escape then. If they had allowed the people to flee, this genocide might not have happened. They would have brought the people back and not allowed them to flee. But when we heard of the chemical attack, we tried to escape, but we couldn’t because we were blind. ” (First)

It will work.

Leave a Comment