Cleaning agents, the use of which intensified at home during the epidemic, increased the incidence of poisoning in children aged 0-6 years. So, what should be done if children drink cleaning materials?
Although the severity of bleach, detergent and hand disinfectant use in particular poses a risk of poisoning for children, the elderly and other family members, the keynote speaker of the First and Emergency Assistance Program. See. ডzlem Karagöl says most detergents contain a lot of phosphate and chlorine and so dishes need to be washed well.
“Should not be kept in other containers, and not in an accessible place”
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), fall, burns and poisoning are among the most important causes of injuries and deaths in home accidents. In Turkey, on the other hand, it was determined that 45.4 percent of domestic accidents occur in children aged 0-6 years, and 81 percent of accidental drug frequencies occur in children of the same age.
Lt. Head of First and Emergency Aid Program. See. Özlem Karagöl says that drinking bleach and chemical cleaning agents can cause serious damage to the area from the mouth to the stomach and can also lead to eczema, bowel cancer and respiratory infections. Caragol says scented detergents (salt, ketchup, bleach spirits) are harmful to inhale as well as swallow. While warning about the safe use of bleach or other disinfectants and chemicals at home, Caragol noted that most cleaning agents can attract children with their scent and color and said:
“It has been observed that families, after purchasing these items, put them in other containers (such as plastic bottles, glasses, jars, bags) and store them in an easily accessible place. These products should not be kept in beverages and food containers, they should be kept in their own containers and should not be stored in beverage bottles such as water or cola bottles.
Karagol warned, “Cleaning agents should be locked in a suitable place where children aged 0-6 may accidentally drink, and children should be kept in high and closed places out of reach.”
Inhalation can also be risky
Referring to substances containing chloroquine or ammonia as high-risk products with ‘caution’ or ‘dangerous’ warnings in their packaging, Karagol said the use of such products could cause asthma sufferers. Emphasizing that care must be taken to ensure that a child with asthma enters the home at least 20 minutes after using these products, Ozlem Karagol makes the following recommendations for the safe use of chemical cleaning at home:
“Most detergents contain high levels of phosphate and chlorine. They are harmful to swallowing and breathing. Therefore, dishes washed with detergent should be washed thoroughly.
When using chemicals, gloves should be worn as protection.
Chemical cleaning materials should never be mixed with each other.
Keeping windows open in a clean place is an important precaution to avoid inhaling chemicals.
What should be the first advice on poisoning?
Poisoning can occur in three ways: digestion, respiration and skin, depending on the way the toxin enters the body, lecturer. See. Ozlem Karagol; Poisoning can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, cold sweats, paleness, confusion, shock, convulsions, dizziness, shortness of breath, cyanosis, chest pain, palpitations and cardiac arrest, he said.
Karagöl shared the following information on first reaction practice in this situation:
“Poisoning by digestion; After eating the chemical, families try to vomit or give soft drinks or foods such as lemon juice, yogurt, buttermilk, olive oil, vinegar, mint, raw eggs, salt water and pomegranate juice. However, nothing should be given orally, as any other food / drink given after the chemical may increase the total amount of gastric and vomit. This is because the esophagus and larynx, which are damaged when the substance is swallowed, will be damaged by vomiting again. Therefore, it is more appropriate to bring the children to the hospital as soon as possible without doing anything. However, if the consciousness is clear, the face should be washed with water, and if the chemical comes in contact with the hands, the hands should be washed with soapy water.
What should be done in case of poisoning?
“Whatever the cause of the poisoning, the patient must not try to vomit.” Karagol explains what needs to be done as follows:
“Emergency medical assistance (112) has been requested. Case information, such as the type of intoxicant and the time of the incident, has been recorded. The baby’s clothes should be taken off. “The baby should be washed under running water for a long time. The child should be rushed to the health facility. As much as possible. The first intervention against respiratory poisoning should be to take the patient into fresh air immediately and if it cannot be removed, windows and doors should be opened and the environment should be ventilated. “