Eda Eltemur and Erman Eltemur, who won two gold medals at the European Karate Championships in Gaziantep, told MİLLİYET about their feelings. Brothers and sisters insisted that they were proud to have reached the summit on the same day.
Big brother first took the floor …
What would you say about this amazing achievement and medal win?
– I’m very happy, very proud. This is a gold medal that I have been waiting for for many years. In my own country, getting this medal in front of your family is a different feeling. I worked hard, I really wanted this medal. I am happy that my hard work has paid off.
Your last final was in 2016. You have been waiting for this medal for a long time. So how did the gold come?
– I was in my final in France. I lost to my Azeri opponent and stayed in Silver. Thanks to God, the final came again in 2022. Recently, I had serious faith. I went through a difficult process. But winning the gold medal and hoisting our flag was really worth all the hard work.
Now it’s the turn of the Mediterranean Games. You will appear as the ultimate champion. Does this create stress?
– I won a gold medal at the last Mediterranean Games. I want to keep this title. I don’t feel any pressure on me. Because I know that no matter how hard I try, I can do it. Of course there will be strong opponents. But I believe I will get gold again.
‘Words are not enough’
After her brother Eltemur, her brother Ada Eltemur also shared her feelings …
Last year you missed the championship for a while, this time you reached gold. Can we get your feelings out first?
– I’m very happy. This success cannot be described in words. Because my brother and I went to Tatami on the same day and got the gold medal. I have had this dream since I was little.
You also opened the medal last year. How would you explain this coincidence?
– Yes, I brought the first medal for our country in last year’s championship. Last year was bronze, this year gold. My only concern is to preserve this title for years to come and bring new joy to our country.
In your post-match interview you said, ‘It was a championship I was looking forward to’. Was the gold medal really that easy?
– I rarely missed a win in last year’s semifinal match. At the time, when I was bronze, I said I would make it to the finals next year. That’s when I made that promise to myself. I prepared myself as a major this year. I went to the final with a different confidence and inspiration.
‘We both started when we were six.’
Your father is also a former karate player …
– My father is a name that raised us. He is now our trainer. He is the architect of these successes. We have a lot of work to do. That is why we have won this medal. I started at the age of six. My brother also started at the age of six. We almost opened our eyes towards Tatami.
‘I have no fixed age in mind’
Erman Eltemour added that he did not know when he would leave the game. “I don’t want to retire,” said his older brother Eltemur. “I want to bring more medals for my country. As long as I take good care of my body, I will continue. I know how to bring myself back when my body doesn’t allow it. “
‘Mediterranean first, then the world’
You are very young and have a long career ahead of you. So what are the next goals?
– With us, goals never end. There are a lot of championships that I can see in front of us. My next target is the World Championships without injury. But first there is the Mediterranean Games. Last year, I lost in the final and took second place. This year my goal is to reach the final again and this time to get the gold medal.
‘We will win anywhere’
That’s right, Gaziantep has won a lot of medals because of the championship. Or have you worked really hard?
– Even if this championship is not in Gaziantep, abroad, these degrees will still come. Because we have prepared very well for this organization. In addition, we are all athletes who have previously sung the national anthem abroad. Of course, going to Tatami in front of our own audience was a plus of confidence. But as I said, those medals will come in this championship wherever.
The same championship and the two brothers get gold medals on the same day. Apart from your success, how did it make you feel?
Erman Eltemur: They say this is the first time in the history of sports in Turkey. A great pride. We went to the final on the same day and won. Eder Sona Joy has inspired me. My brother said we would get two golds before the championship. We achieve this. Ada reached the first final and won. He gave me an extra inspiration after his success. Brother and sister, we closed the championship with two golds with great pride.
EDA Eltemur: We went to Tatami in the belief that we would achieve this. It’s really like a dream for two brothers to win a gold medal on the same day. I think we’re making history. Of course, there is an individual happiness that we have achieved first.
‘They pulled the trigger’
You received these medals in front of your family at Gaziantep. How did you feel at that moment?
Erman Eltemur: My family’s feet almost never touched the ground. They even pull a plow from happiness. I hope we can get these moments back together again and again.
EDA ELTEMUR: It’s a great honor to have those who have worked for us as a part of this success. I think we are stronger when I see my mom and dad on the stand.